Saturday, August 1, 2009

the british are coming!


So we had dinner with some British friends the other night and I was thoroughly impressed (and intimidated) by their hosting skills. We were greeted with a glass of champagne and led out to their fabulous patio that was all a-sparkle in twinkle lights. After dinner we were offered French-press Ethiopian coffee on a tray with the cutest little cream and sugar set. I imagine it's probably standard practice to offer after dinner coffee with dessert (I brought brownies on a plastic plate...cringe), but I always forget this part.  And even though my china cabinet is stocked with an arsenal of serving pieces, I realized how much I still need. On my list of things to buy:

1. demitasse spoons
2. serving tray
3. cute cream + sugar set
4. ice bucket (why am I still breaking out the plastic ice trays??)
5. tea set
6. cake stand (I am loving this jadeite one from poshchicago.com)
7. 3-tier stand

Did you know that there is a proper way to place food for tea on a 3-tier stand? I sure didn't. According to Christian Gradnitzer, executive chef at Jumeirah Essex House in NYC, the scones go on top, sandwiches in the middle, then sweets on the bottom (from Party Confidential) I told K this and how impressed I was with the British and he just rolled his eyes and called me a traitor.


1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    Did you find a cream and sugar set yet? I got stuck on this mission last spring (after Jim plopped our giant tupperware sugar canister on the table after dinner at my birthday party), and found the cutest set at Anthropologie. Search for Fleur De Lys Sugar Pot. Great price too!

    Love your blog. Miss you guys,

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete