Sunday, June 13, 2010

best in show

Since we're going to be in South Africa for 2-3 years, I've also been working on a design for little man's "big boy" room. I love orange + aqua together (or pretty much any color with aqua) and originally wanted to do a scheme like this serena & lily room:



But then I came across this room designed by kate dixon featured on design*sponge:






How FUN is that?!! I love the vintage circus look and was blown away by the creativity. What kid wouldn't want a ferris wheel in their room? I obviously can't transport a ferris wheel to South Africa (not to mention the fact that C would probably destroy it), so I created my own take on the room:




I think theme rooms are sort of cheesy, but you can translate the basic elements without being too literal (i.e., a "big top" tent translates into a red+white striped rug).
I have this wonderful old dresser handed down from my Grandmother that I'll paint sun yellow and add fun knobs to (my take on the yellow in the ferris wheel).
I found the super fun (and super cheap) bedding from Target that reminds me of running lights used on vintage carnival signs. The table + chair set is also from Target and looks like pricer versions by mod brands like EcoTots, etc.
I did order the circus prints by Jeff Shumway, but they were only $55 for the set, so if C decides he doesn't want a circus room in a few years, it's no big deal.
I love the yellow Bertoia chairs they used, but at $400 a pop, they're a little over my budget. I originally bought a Thonet-style bentwood rocker for $50 off Craigslist for C's room, but it was too uncomfortable for nursing, etc. so I got a comfy rocker + ottoman instead. Now that he's a little older, I can move those pieces to our bedroom (thankfully they don't look like baby furniture) and use the bentwood rocker. I plan to paint it sun yellow as well and maybe upholster the seat.
It looks like they painted a chalkboard wall behind the Bertoia chairs. I don't know that they'll let me paint in S.Africa, so instead I'll use these fun chalkboard wall decals.
How great is that flashlight lamp? Reminds me of what kids use for a "spotlight" when putting on shows (at least we did).
What better way to start a kid's art collection than with this red Eames elephant? It's probably the most expensive thing in the room, but it's a design classic and will hopefully be a piece he'll treasure for years to come.

I'm really excited about the room and hope it comes together in person as well as it does in my head.



No comments:

Post a Comment