Monday, May 3, 2010

boudior redux v.5

Ok, this is it. After countless designs, I think I've finally come up with the final plan. There a couple of reasons why the plan got revised again. 1) I ordered the Anthropologie curtains and hung them up in our bedroom. They're gorgeous and striking, but they hurt my eyes. It was just too much for a bedroom...perhaps better for a dining or living room. 2) After our recent trip to London and visiting various furniture stores, I fell in love with all things Orla Kiely. You may remember her line for Target last year, which included the green pear motif and a retro flower power-esque pattern. She also (obviously) has a regular line, but the U.S. website only carries her wallpaper and lampshades. I fell in love with this particular pattern (a stylized version of hydrangeas, my favorite flower!), but wallpaper does not work for my transient lifestyle:


So, imagine my delight when I discovered that the U.K. sells Orla duvets, pillows and placemats!! Of course I bought them all (I figured I could always ebay them if they didn't work out), and the duvet works beautifully with the rest of my furniture plan and color scheme:



Here's the breakdown:

1. Bed...I ended up going with the "Colette" from Crate & Barrel. It took my breath away when I first laid eyes on it at the Clarendon store almost 4 years ago. It took awhile to convince my husband, but I think he's on board now. I feel like it's the perfect blend of classic and modern and fits my "retro romantic" style. I like that it's a low platform and padded all the way around...no more bumping my shin in the middle of the night. Finally, a grown up bed! Now all I need is that Tempurpedic mattress...

2. Nightstands...I also fell in love with these whilst furniture shopping. They're from Arhaus and got them for a steal. One was a floor sample, marked on clearance, and the other was 15% off. Score!

3. Lamps...oh how I love these Anthropologie lamps. I was completely dismayed when I went to order these lamps online and discovered that they were no longer available. They had magically disappeared. So I went to the store to investigate, only to discover they were also on clearance, marked down by $100! They had one left and they called around to find me another. Thank you Lord! The only bummer...lampshade NOT included, of course. I had to plunk down some more dough for RH shades that worked (believe me, I tried the Walmart ones). Thankfully they were 20% off!

4. Duvet...Orla Kiely!!!

So that's it! I've made the mistake in the past of buying things on impulse and not really thinking about how they would work together. This time I've spent a lot of time defining my style, doing research and making sure that I LOVE each and every item before I plunk down hard-earned cash. I think it's going to pay off...we won't move in our new house until September, but stay tuned for the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment