Saturday, January 30, 2010

nigerian nuances.1


I suppose if you read this blog you're curious about what life is like in Africa.
I guess I should write more about it, but it's hard because the Nigerian government doesn't allow us to take pictures and you really need visual aids for this sort of thing...to make it believable, that is. And in some ways, life isn't that different from our life in the States. We have American TV (Armed Forces Network, the same thing available to military families), we hang out with other Americans, we go to work, eat dinner, etc.
But there are many aspects of our daily life that are so NOT normal and took some getting use to. Like the fact that there are clearly marked lanes on the road, but people don't use them...any available space on the road is fair game. I could be attempting to turn left and situated in the respective lane, but the guy 3 lanes over on the right will cut me off. Or the fact that most stop lights don't work and many people (including my husband) ignore stop signs. And don't worry if there's a gas shortage and the lines at the gas station wrap around the block. There are plenty of black market resources on the other side of the road, waiting to fill your tank.
Although, as frustrating as Nigeria can be at times, it's become our home and sometimes it surprises me in a good way. Like when someone gives me the correct change. Or when I open my eggs and they're stamped with a happy message. That's right...




Happy Independence Day. Wouldn't it be great if all eggs were stamped? What a great start to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment