Sunday, January 10, 2010

4 new teeth, 3 too many cookies, 2 plane trips and a cockroach in my bed

That about sums up my life for the last 6 weeks. CW and I went home early to spend some extra time with the Grandparents and K joined us 3 weeks later. It was wonderful Christmas chaos. I think we managed to hit every major city in Virginia and see (almost) everyone. It was lovely, but I must say I am glad to be "home" and settled again. Calder is back to his 12-hr schedule, praise the Lord. He was waking early (WAY too early for my night-owl self) when we were in Virginia due to teething/sickness/cold weather. But with good reason...he has 4 new teeth on top, in addition to the two on the bottom. Poor thing.
Now it's down to business. I didn't make New Year's resolutions this year because I don't like to make promises I can't keep:) I really think that resolutions are more about detox anyways. The holidays have become so self-indulgent, from overeating to overspending to overexertion, that we become sick of ourselves. I know I am. It's time for a detox and a shedding of the winter skin. Literally, ha. My plan to lose the baby weight was foiled by Bitsie's home cooking and the abundance of treats in the house. But I have no one to blame but myself...no one was twisting my arm to eat them. Seriously though, my window to use the "9 months up, 9 months down" excuse has closed. Time to hit the gym. I have an appointment with a personal trainer at 10:30 am tomorrow. 20 lbs to lose. How's that for transparency?
As weird as it sounds, it was really great to be back in Abuja. We have a wonderful home with a relaxed lifestyle and great friends. I was feeling the love until 2 nights ago. It's the Harmattan (dry season) and the bugs migrate indoors to find water...all manner of bugs, including finger-sized cockroaches. I had made peace with the fact they were there (such if life in Africa) until I rolled over the other night and felt one in my hair. I don't need to tell you the reaction. If that's not bad enough, I brushed one off my back last night and it proceeded to take flight onto the nightstand. Great...they fly too. Totally and utterly disgusting. I feel like a prisoner in my home and enough is enough. We've set traps, sprayed, and they are coming to bomb the place next week. The war has begun and they are dead meat. So far we have taken 15 prisoners.
Don't you want to move to Africa??
Happy New Year.

2 comments:

  1. I can feel the exoskeleton. Bleh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! If the personal trainer doesn't end up being a good fit, let me know. I've been eating healthy since I had Charlotte but I reached a plateau when I still had another 10 lbs to lose. I got work-out dvd's (Jari Love and Cathe Friedrich) for Christmas and they are GREAT! They are intense work-outs and have gotten me past my plateau. They both use high-rep, compound exercises to really burn calories and help tone the muscles. It's like having a personal trainer in my home each morning and I only have 7 more lbs of baby weight to lose until I get to my pre-pregnancy weight. I've only been using them a couple of weeks and can already tell a difference in my tone, endurance, and energy level. Anyway, sorry for the plug for their dvd's, but I highly recommend them because you can get in incredible shape without having to leave the house!!

    ReplyDelete