Saturday, October 24, 2009

first lady


Last year I was the CLO (Community Liaison Officer) for the US Embassy here. Basically I was the social director for the American Community...made sure newcomers had sponsors, planned events, answered their questions. It was a huge job, but a lot of fun. I decided not to go back after having CW because it was so time consuming, but I've tried to continue to help out in little ways. I design and edit the community newsletter every 2 weeks (a huge job in itself) and host different events like morning coffees. 
The current CLO who took my position is much better at persuading people to volunteer and somehow I got roped into heading up this year's A.S.O.H.O.M. (Association of Spouses of Heads of Mission...translation: Ambassadors' Wives) Charity Bazaar. This is a huge event for Abuja and a big money maker for charity. App. 40 different countries were represented at the Sheraton Hotel and everything from Russian caviar to Argentinian beef with chimichurri sauce was sold. Our booth decided to sell plates of chili + cornbread and apple pies. It was a ton of work and would not have been possible without A LOT of volunteers, but we managed to be the top selling booth with over N 100,000 (approx. $650 USD).
The best part though was getting to shake hands with the First Lady, Mrs. Yar'Adua (who I am told is really the one in charge because the President's health continues to deteriorate), and presenting her with an apple pie. I doubt she actually ate it though...it was passed off to one of the members of her entourage. And a serious entourage it was...about 50 people with 3 photographers following her every move. Nigerians don't mess around.
Please excuse the sad state of hair...that's what happens when you are toiling over pots of hot chili all day and 5 months past due for highlights...it's a hairy situation.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. And not because of your highlights. That pie blesses me so.

    ReplyDelete